[Distutils] Deprecating little used file types/extensions on PyPI?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Aug 22 10:46:14 EDT 2016

> On Aug 22, 2016, at 7:14 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks, that's good info that shows I was clearly being unduly
> pessimistic about toolchain compatibility. It means the only salient
> technical difference we're aware of between the two formats is that
> the distutils and setuptools default settings on .tar.gz currently
> result in smaller archives than the default settings for .zip.

I’m less worried about the Linux toolchains and I’m more worried about
the adhoc toolchains created by all the various publishers on PyPI. It’s
not a wide stretch to imagine release scripts that hard code in an
assumption on either .tar.gz _or_ .zip and picking one or the other will
inevitably break these people (albeit with a fairly simple fix in the
typical case). Picking the lesser used format just increases the number
of people who might end up having their release scripts or other misc
scripts broken because of it.

—
Donald Stufft