[Distutils] Deprecating little used file types/extensions on PyPI?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 07:25:20 EDT 2016

On 23 August 2016 at 19:36, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I don't think that in the medium term there's going to be much
> practical change in the state of things on Windows:
>
> - Users install Python from the published python.org installers
> - Users install packages using pip and wheels from PyPI
> - Plus some exceptions, where people need to use sdists, or
> independently published wheels, or worse still, wininst/msi installers
> because that's all available
>
> Whether that process is manual, or hidden behind some form of scripted
> process, won't alter the underlying infrastructure.
>
> I don't see any sign of *anyone* working on a curated distribution for
> Windows along the lines of Linux distros or Homebrew. (Unless you
> count cross-platform stacks like conda, which IMO are a different
> scenario than "system" Python installs).

OK, cool - that gives us all the more reason to retain bdist_wininst
and bdist_msi hosting support. However, I do think it makes sense for
us to say up front that we'll reconsider that decision if something
akin to homebrew gains traction amongst developers running Windows the
way homebrew has amongst open source users running Mac OS X.

Cheers,
Nick.