[Distutils] Deprecating little used file types/extensions on PyPI?

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Tue Aug 23 16:40:17 EDT 2016

On 23Aug2016 0937, Brett Cannon wrote:
> I should also mention I have never come across anyone at Microsoft use
> the bdist_msi or bdist_winst installers (I've added Steve to this email
> in case my experience is wrong).

In large part this is because I've gotten to them first :)

Personally I don't like bdist_msi or bdist_winst as neither of them
correctly sets dependencies on the underlying Python install, so
removing Python does not remove the package. But I can see why people
may prefer to use them.

I see no harm in not installing them via pip though. They should be
downloadable "associated files" at minimum, and I don't have any opinion
about making them available via index data (except that installers
should be free to ignore them).

Cheers,
Steve