[Distutils] PEP 527 - Removing Un(der)used file types/extensions on PyPI

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 17:05:11 EDT 2016

I would be sad to see .zip go. I would rather the rule be '0 or 1 sdists'.
For my own selfish reasons I am trying to generate sdists with SCons, and
it happens to expect the tar command but can already generate zips cross
platform, so I will need to patch SCons' archiver to comply with the PEP.
Sure, it only affects 2 packages, but they are mine.

ZIP is interesting from the required C extensions angle because you can
compress individual members with LZMA for example, breaking the 'only
requires zlib' constraint; zipimport would not like those either. If the
package already required Python 3.6 would this be a problem? Or the sdist
could require the go compiler, and not work, but at least the packaging
tool would not be the failure point.

Wheel comes with a converter for bdist_wininst. They are conceptually very
similar, both zip format, but bdist_wininst prepends an .exe installer.