[Distutils] PEP 527 - Removing Un(der)used file types/extensions on PyPI

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 12:29:59 EDT 2016

On 25 August 2016 at 21:46, Thomas Kluyver <thomas at kluyver.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016, at 12:30 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> My one remaining question would be whether or not we have any projects
>> that are in the habit of uploading both .zip and .tar.gz for the same
>> release - if there are, the restriction to only one sdist per release
>
> IPython's release script uploads both sdist formats:
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ipython
>
> Several of our other IPython/Jupyter packages have both formats on PyPI.

Could you give a bit more detail on how you came to be publishing
both? The main thing we're trying to avoid is missing a practical use
case for the status quo where folks can upload both - if it's just an
artifact of Windows and *nix having different default formats, then
the convergence in distutils and setuptools will fix it implicitly,
but if it's a deliberate design decision, then we need to check if
that's based on a misunderstanding of how pip/easy_install/et al
consume the two formats.

Cheers,
Nick.