[Distutils] PEP 527 - Removing Un(der)used file types/extensions on PyPI

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 12:57:11 EDT 2016

On 26 August 2016 at 02:43, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Aside: If pip is considered the only user of PyPI, I do wonder,
> why we bother having a user readable download index at all ;-)

I see the smiley, but this actually has a real answer :)

The manual download links aren't particularly useful (that's why
Warehouse moves them to a subpage and encourages the use of "pip
install" instead), but the user readable pages themselves are relevant
to folks searching for dependencies that might solve their problems
(whether using PyPI's native search, or a general internet search
engine).

And once you have a project information page, not having any manual
download links *at all* would be sufficiently strange that their
absence could reasonably be expected to puzzle people, so it makes
sense to just provide them, rather than attempting to explain why
they're not there.

Cheers,
Nick.