[Distutils] What is the official position on distutils?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Aug 28 15:43:11 EDT 2016

My sense of the current position is:

 - distutils exists for both Python and the broader ecosystem to build
both extension modules and package distributions
 - we recognise that its able to do anything, but many folk find it
hard to work with - or are already invested in other build tools
 - we're afraid of changing it in ways that cause incompatibilities
with e.g. the numpy eco systems heavy customisations, and we're not
sure we can recognise whether a given change is one of those
 - and we're recommending that everyone move away from directly using
distutils to using setuptoools - but setuptools *is* distutils in many
many ways, so this doesn't loosen our dependency and stability
considerations around distutils

So basically the normal 'module goes to the stdlib to freeze' effect.

I haven't read about Sylvain's proposed changes yet - ETHINGSTODO :(.

I can happily agree with a position that making distutils directly
usable is a non-goal... but insofar as making it more usable makes
setuptools more usable, that would be a goal :/.

-Rob