[Distutils] Best way to handle packaging a project that only applies to certain versions of Python

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Aug 29 19:34:01 EDT 2016

Someone has asked that I do a new release of importlib that includes a
LICENSE file on PyPI: https://pypi.org/project/importlib/. Historically I
have had the setup.py simply not include any Python code when built on
versions of Python that include importlib in the stdlib itself:
https://github.com/brettcannon/importlib/blob/master/setup.py .

But now I would like to do a wheel. Is there some way I'm not thinking of
to have a wheel that will leave out code or not install itself if a certain
version of Python is used? Or will the user have to specify a proper Python
requirement in their requirements.txt to get that kind of experience?