[Distutils] Different purposes for Setuptools requirements versus Pip requirements (was: Maintaining a curated set of Python packages)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Dec 8 23:32:25 EST 2016

On 9 Dec 2016 4:42 PM, "Ben Finney" <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:

Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> writes:

> [the ‘pbr’ library] does allow you to basically abstract away most
> common configuration into declarative setup.cfg and requirements.txt
> files

Hmm. That description sounds like a mistaken conflation of two things
that should be distinct

It's not, though the name of the file it looks for is indeed evocative of
concrete version lists. Requirements.txt was on the path to being
deprecated in order to reduce confusion, but I'm no longer paid to work on
that tool chain, so it's now in my lengthy best effort to-do list.

Requirements.txt files are mapped directly into install-requires by pbr,
and the replacement is to put the same dependencies into setup.cfg.

* ...
If we're saying ‘pbr’ encourages the use of a single set of declarations
for those quite different purposes, that sounds like an attractive
nuisance

It doesn't, confusing names aside. We even wrote a tool  -
generate-constraints to calculate the transitive closure, python version
specific as needed, for placing into a constraints / requires file for pip
to consume.

Rob