[Distutils] Maintaining a curated set of Python packages

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 09:57:37 EST 2016

On Thursday, December 15, 2016, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2016, at 9:35 AM, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','steve.dower at python.org');>> wrote:
>
> The "curated package sets" on PyPI idea sounds a bit like Steam's curator
> lists, which I like to think of as Twitter for game reviews. You can follow
> a curator to see their comments on particular games, and the most popular
> curators have their comments appear on the actual listings too.
>
> Might be interesting to see how something like that worked for PyPI,
> though the initial investment is pretty high. (It doesn't solve the
> coherent bundle problem either, just the discovery of good libraries
> problem.)
>

> Theoretically we could allow people to not just select packages, but also
> package specifiers for their “curated package set”, so instead of saying
> “requests”, you could say “requests~=2.12” or “requests==2.12.2”. If we
> really wanted to get slick we could even provide a requirements.txt file
> format, and have people able to install the entire set by doing something
> like:
>
>     $ pip install -r https://pypi.org/sets/dstufft/
> my-cool-set/requirements.txt

With version control?

    $ pip install -r https://pypi.org/sets/dstufft/
my-cool-set/abcd123/requirements.txt
<https://pypi.org/sets/dstufft/my-cool-set/requirements.txt>

    $ pip install -r https://pypi.org/sets/dstufft/
my-cool-set/v0.0.1/requirements.txt
<https://pypi.org/sets/dstufft/my-cool-set/requirements.txt>

This would be a graph. JSONLD?
#PEP426JSONLD:
- https://www.google.com/search?q=pep426jsonld
- https://github.com/pypa/interoperability-peps/issues/31

With JSONLD, we could merge SoftwarePackage metadata with
SoftwarePackageCollection metadata (just throwing some types out there).

A http://schema.org/SoftwareApplication is a http://schema.org/CreativeWork
.

http://schema.org/softwareVersion