[Distutils] Maintaining a curated set of Python packages

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Dec 16 16:38:39 EST 2016

Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> "New Project" could
> just create a requirements.txt and a setup.py for you, alongside a git
> repo and a virtualenv for that project.  Or, the UI could be geared
> towards setting up a tox.ini rather than a virtualenv, and run
> everything through tox so it's in an isolated environment with defined
> requirements.

I'd be very interested in something like this. I'm not a
big fan of IDEs generally, but one feature I do appreciate
greatly is having a one-button "build" process that creates
a distributable app bundled with everything it needs, and
be assured it will work on someone else's machine.

That's currently rather difficult to do with Python in any but
the simplest cases, even for a single platform. Cross-platform
is even worse. +1 on providing some tools to make it easier.

--
Greg