[Distutils] Can't upload sdist: "File already exists"

Nick Timkovich prometheus235 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 15:29:42 EST 2016

I have a little package "huffman" where I build an sdist and wheel (python
setup.py sdist bdist_wheel) and both seem to get built and can install
fine. I can't seem to upload both to PyPI because the "File already exists":

$ twine upload dist/*
Uploading distributions to https://upload.pypi.org/legacy/
Uploading huffman-0.1.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Uploading huffman-0.1.2.tar.gz
HTTPError: 400 Client Error: File already exists. for url:
https://upload.pypi.org/legacy/

Subsequent call to upload *just* the tarball fails the same way. I can't
see an sdist anywhere, and uploading it via the website or twine just tells
me it's already there...somehow. Asking pip to try to give it to me fails
though (the binary works, however):

$ pip download --no-cache-dir --only-binary :all: huffman==0.1.2
Collecting huffman==0.1.2
  Downloading huffman-0.1.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl
  Saved ./huffman-0.1.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Successfully downloaded huffman

$ pip download --no-cache-dir --no-binary :all: huffman==0.1.2
Collecting huffman==0.1.2
  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement huffman==0.1.2
(from versions: )
No matching distribution found for huffman==0.1.2

Am I missing something? I am as sure as I can be that I didn't upload it
twice; I bumped my version up one because I figured that may have been it.
"twine register" that some guides mention just gets shot down with an HTTP
"410 [...] simply upload the file"

Cheers,
Nick