[Distutils] SOABI for Unicode ABI on 2.x (was: wheel 0.27.0 released)

Nate Coraor nate at bx.psu.edu
Fri Feb 5 12:53:52 EST 2016

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2016 8:47 AM, "Nate Coraor" <nate at bx.psu.edu> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > - Add SOABI tags to platform-specific wheels built for Python 2.X (Pull
> Request
> >   #55, Issue #63, Issue #101)
>
> I can't quite untangle all the documents linked from this PR, so let me
> ask here :-). Does this mean that python 2.x extension wheels now can and
> should declare whether they're assuming the 16- or 32-bit Unicode ABI
> inside the abi field? And if so, should PEP 513 be updated to allow for
> both options to be used with manylinux1? (Right not manylinux1 just
> implies/requires a UCS4 build, for older pythons where this matters.)
>
> -n

It isn't declared, wheel determines the ABI of the interpreter upon which
the wheel is being built and tags it accordingly. So yes, I think a PEP 513
update is appropriate. As to whether the manylinux1 Docker images should
include UCS-2 Pythons is a separate question, though. If there's interest,
I can provide statistics of how many of Galaxy's UCS-2 Linux eggs were
downloaded over time.

--nate