[Distutils] PEP: Build system abstraction for pip/conda etc

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue Feb 9 19:06:24 EST 2016

The state of the art right now is that sdist generation is already a
quirky build-system-specific interface that isn't used by any other
tools -- 'python setup.py sdist --whatever=whatever' -- and that the
de facto sdist format is 'a zip/tarball named NAME-VERSION.EXT which
contains a setup.py'. So nothing in the current build interface
proposals makes this any better, or any worse.

I understand your concern that we want to encourage people to upload
sdists, but if it reassures you any, recall that part of what started
this whole discussion is that flit already *wants* to upload sdists --
the problem is just that they currently can't :-). See also
   https://github.com/takluyver/flit/issues/74

So there are definitely things we can do to improve sdists in general,
but I think we can treat that as an independent discussion, and I'm
not terribly worried that distutils-sig supervision is necessary to
prevent build system authors from running free ignoring the concept of
source releases. And if they do then we can shake a finger at them
when it happens :-)

-n