[Distutils] Ensuring source availability for PyPI entries / PEP: Build system abstraction for pip/conda etc

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Feb 10 04:34:34 EST 2016

> Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But as I said in my response to Nathaniel, it may be that all that is
>> needed is some context in the PEP explaining how we require[1] people
>> to upload source to PyPI in the new world where we support build
>> systems which don't have a "sdist" command like setuptools does.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> [1] I say "require" in the sense of "you have to follow these rules if
>> pip is to be able to use your source", not "you must upload source" -
>> although I hope that the number of people actually preferring to *not*
>> include source in their PyPI uploads is vanishingly small...

I'm not sure I'm parsing your comment correctly, but if you are
suggesting that PyPI should no longer allow supporting
non-open-source packages, this is definitely not going to
happen.

Python is free for everyone to use without any GPL-like
restrictions, which is part of our big success, and our packaging
environment has to follow the same principle.

The attitude that some people in this discussion are showing
does not align with those principles, which I find increasingly
worrying. When discussing technicalities in this space, you always
have to take the political implications into account as well.

Back on topic:

I don't think that the build system abstraction is
moving in the right direction. Instead of coming up with
yet another standard for build interfacing, we should simply
pin down the commands and options that pip and other installers
will want to see working with the standard setup.py command
line interface we have.

There aren't all that many - simply take what pip does now
as minimal standard.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Feb 10 2016)
2016-01-19: Released eGenix pyOpenSSL 0.13.13 ... http://egenix.com/go86

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/