[Distutils] [final version?] PEP 513 - A Platform Tag for Portable Linux Built Distributions

Wayne Werner waynejwerner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 09:14:14 EST 2016

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016, Paul Moore wrote:

> On 16 February 2016 at 11:05, Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> You may call this sour grapes, but in the light of people installing
>> these wheels to replace/upgrade system installed eggs, it becomes an issue.
>> It's fine to use such wheels in a virtual environment, however people tell
>> users to use these wheels to replace system installed packages, distros will
>> have a problem identifying issues.
>
> OK, so are you not simply saying that people shouldn't be using (sudo)
> pip to install packages into the system environment instead of using
> the system packages?
>
> As a non-Linux user my opinion isn't that relevant, but I don't see an
> issue with a statement like this. I gather that people typically do
> this when the distro packages aren't available, or don't provide a
> sufficiently up to date version, but that's a separate issue.

I've learned that *usually* linux distro repos lag way behind in updating
their Python packages, so unless I *can't* install the package via pip,
that's what I do.

Of course, to my knowledge I've never replaced a system installed version
of anything. Though, considering I've been using Python3 since it was
available and most distros use Python 2, that may not really be saying
much :)

-W