[Distutils] PyPI index workaround

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Jul 13 15:56:45 EDT 2016

> On Jul 13, 2016, at 3:40 PM, Dmitry Trofimov <dmitry.trofimov at jetbrains.com> wrote:
>
> Does that mean that PyPI index page will live for a while until the new API is implemented?

Yes, though I’m looking at this right now.

I do have a question here though. If I understand the dialog, this is to provide a way for people to upgrade packages they have installed, and to tell them if their is a newer version or not. So my question here is why do you need the latest version for *every* package instead of just the ones you have installed?

If you narrow it down to just the ones that are installed, then the number of HTTP requests needed with the current APIs goes down from ~80,000 to likely <100 or even <50 in most cases.

—
Donald Stufft