[Distutils] Contributing money to package authors/maintainers via PyPI

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Sat Jul 23 15:25:06 EDT 2016

On 23Jul2016 1211, Donald Stufft wrote:

>> On Jul 23, 2016, at 2:40 PM, Nicholas Chammas
>> <nicholas.chammas at gmail.com <mailto:nicholas.chammas at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I know a more concrete proposal would have to address a lot of details
>> (e.g. like how to split contributions across multiple maintainers),
>> and perhaps there is no way to find the resources to build or maintain
>> such a thing in the first place. But just for now I’d like to separate
>> essence of idea from the practical concerns of implementing it.
>

> I’m mulling over the idea in my head, but one other thing we’d need to
> figure out is the *legality* of doing this and if it’s something the PSF
> is willing to do at all.

Maybe it's as simple as a user profile "Donations URL" field that is
also listed on any packages owned by that user? Or possibly a
per-package URL? (The latter may work out better for people who manage
both personal and work packages, which is currently the system we're
using at Microsoft until we get a centralised publishing system set up.)

Cheers,
Steve