[Distutils] Proposal: "Install and save"

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 23:50:19 EDT 2016

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I could definitely see a feature like "pip-newdep
> requirements.in '<dep1>' '<dep2>'" being relevant in pip-tools as a
> shorthand for something like:
>
>     echo '<dep1>' >> requirements.in && echo '<dep2>' >>
> requirements.in && pip-compile requirements.in && pip install -r
> requirements.txt

Can the file name be made implicit? If so, it would come to almost
what I was originally looking for:

pip-newdep sqlalchemy flask

and it'd DTRT as regards building the requirements. If I understand
you correctly, requirements.in would store only the names of packages
required (no version info), and then requirements.txt would look like
the output of 'pip freeze' but only for the packages listed in
requirements.in? Because that would be _perfect_. Both files go into
source control, and the task "update to the latest versions of things
and check if it all works" would be straight-forward.

ChrisA