[Distutils] Contributing money to package authors/maintainers via PyPI

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 25 14:52:30 EDT 2016

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> OTOH, if we give up on that part of the idea, then it becomes much easier
> :-). It'd be straightforward for PyPI to provide a "how to donate to this
> project" box on each project page, that has links to whatever donation
> processing service(s) the project prefers.

+1 on this one -- shift all the legal hassles to the projects, but provide
a tiny bit of infrastructure to make it easier for people to find.

note: for a higher level of support, the PSF _could_ follow the numfocus
approach:

NumFocus is a properly set-up non-profit that can act as a gateway for
particular projects, so that the individual projects don't need to set up
all that accounting and legal infrastructure:

http://www.numfocus.org/information-on-fiscal-sponsorship.html

However, there is still a pretty big barrier to entry to become a sponsored
organization, as there should be.

So I think it would be great if PyPi could simply put a donate button in
there, but not try to get into the money laundering business.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov