[Distutils] bulk upload

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Jul 25 18:03:52 EDT 2016

> On Jul 25, 2016, at 5:57 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 6:16 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> Disk space is super cheap. We’re currently using Amazon S3 to store our
>> files, and the storage portion of our “bill” there is something like
>> $10/month for all of PyPI (out of a total “cost” of ~$35,000/month). Almost
>> all of our “cost” for PyPI as a whole comes from bandwidth used not from
>> storage.
>
> Does anyone mirror all of PyPI? If so, "storage" suddenly also means
> "bandwidth”.

Yes folks do mirror all of PyPI, but it’s not as simple as storage == bandwidth. The price of the bandwidth is paid generally when the file is uploaded so deleting doesn’t reduce the bandwidth demands of existing mirrors. It *does* increase the bandwidth demands of a brand new mirror, but a single full mirror represents 0.089% of the total monthly bandwidth of PyPI and there are no indications that there are significant numbers of new mirrors being added regularly to where it would even matter.

—
Donald Stufft