[Distutils] Switch PyPA from IRC to Gitter or similar

Wayne Werner waynejwerner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 13:28:06 EDT 2016

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016, Jason R. Coombs wrote:

> Personally, the downsides to moving to Gitter (other than enacting the move itself) seem negligible. What do you think? What downsides am I missing?

That may be the main issue. Given the responses thus far, it seems like
most people are happy with the IRC experience. I know that I mostly prefer
the IRC experience - indeed, I actually access *my* gitter rooms through
their IRC bridge.

Here's a question - why not run something like hubot or
https://gist.github.com/RobertSzkutak/1326452 or just use logging with
irssi?

If you're using a bot, it's pretty trivial to have your bot send you emails,
or setup and arduino/raspberry pi and a servo so when you're mentioned you
*literally* get pushed :) You could probably configure irssi to work the
same way, though I've never bothered to do such things.

You should remember that the political effort of changing the status quo
*is* an effort and there is always a cost associated. Sometimes it's worth
the effort (Python3 and unicode), and sometimes it's not.

Personally, I'm already connected to both the gitter bridge and freenode
through irssi, though I'm not present in the #pypa room. I could, and
thinking about it I probably *should* join the #python and #pypa rooms and
configure irssi to join those rooms when I join freenode.

If you really just prefer the gitter interface, you *could* always just
setup your bot to relay messages from IRC to your own gitter room, and
vice versa. Unless that violates someones TOS, I really don't know,
because that's not something that I'm interested in :)

-W