[Distutils] Switch PyPA from IRC to Gitter or similar

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Jun 10 16:42:01 EDT 2016

On 11 June 2016 at 01:22, Jason R. Coombs <jaraco at jaraco.com> wrote:
> In #pypa-dev, I raised the possibility of moving our PyPA support channels from IRC to another hosted solution that enables persistence. Although IRC has served us well, there are systems now with clear feature advantages, which are crucial to my continuous participation:

FWIW, I won't be switching to gitter or slack - I find the push
notifications and always-on experience exhausting. It gets in the way
of thinking or doing anything useful. I often leave my phone in
priority-only mode to shut facebook and twitter and such things up for
hours - or days - at a time.

Thats presuming there is a IRC bridge in whatever the community as a
whole does. If there isn't, then I'd setup an account for use from a
browser when desired, but from the sounds of it I'd need to blacklist
their email address to keep noise down.

-Rob