[Distutils] How to register my python package which relys on the output of other project on pypi

Young Yang afe.young at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 10:59:38 EDT 2016

Thanks your advice :)

Finally, I decide not to create an pypi package containing only binaries by
other program(not setup.py Extension).

Because I think my binding-project is an extension for project A, I should
assume the user has installed A successfully. Otherwise I will give some
information to guide users to install project A.

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 11:05 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:

> My pysdl2-cffi project has a dependency ':sys_platform=="win32"':
> ['sdl2_lib'] meaning 'depends on sdl2_lib only on Windows' (see its
> setup.py). sdl2_lib is a specially made wheel that only contains DLL's for
> Windows. On other platforms we don't try to install sdl2_lib, assuming you
> have already installed SDL2 some other way.
>
> If I wanted to distribute the Linux so's on PyPy I could upload a second
> wheel with the 'manylinux1' tag, and pip would choose the right one.
> Distributing Linux binaries is more complicated than for Windows, see PEP
> 513 and https://pypi.python.org/pypi/auditwheel
>

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 10:32 AM Young Yang <afe.young at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm writing a python-binding project for project A written in C++.
>> Project A is on github. It supports compiling itself to produce .so in
>> linux or .dll in windows.
>> My python-binding project contains depends on the .dll and .so file.
>>
>> Now I want to register my package on pypi. So that users can install my
>> package with only running `pip install XXXX`.
>>
>> I have to support both windows and linux.  The only solution I can figure
>> out is to include both .dll and .so in my package.   This will end up with
>> both .so and .dll installed in any platforms. It sounds dirty.
>>
>> Is there any better ways to achieve my goal?
>>

>> PS: The compile process of Project A is a little complicated, so I can't
>> use python Extension to build my dynamic library.
>>

>> This question comes after this question
>> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2016-June/029059.html
>>
>> Thanks in advance :)
>>

>> --