[Distutils] Request for comment: Proposal to change behaviour of pip install

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 13:41:44 EDT 2016

Are you suggesting that my current vagrant provisioning script "ensure x is
installed":

ensure_x.sh:
#!/bin/sh
pip install x

Which IIUC does not currently check the network if x is already installed,
is no longer idempotent, and will permanently brick my development
environment as soon as x is upgraded on pypi? Do I have to include logic
for checking the current version of pip, and then decide how to upgrade? Do
I just pin all dependencies always?

I just spent 3 weeks fixing a nodejs deployment that had been upgraded when
I was not ready, and I would rather not have to do the same in pip.

Why don't we just implement something like pip install foobar at latest if you
want the upgrade?

pip upsert?

The idea of always upgrading when you specify a concrete dependency, a file
or a URL, is a good one.