[Distutils] Request for comment: Proposal to change behaviour of pip install

Pradyun Gedam pradyunsg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 02:27:32 EDT 2016

I think it's useful to see what other tools and package managers do. Doing
something like them because they do it is not a good reason. Doing it
because it's better UX is a good reason.

I like what git does, printing a (possibly long) message in a version cycle
to warn users that the behavior would be changing in a future version and
how they can/should act on it. It has a clean transition period that allows
users to make educated decisions.

I, personally, am more in the favor of providing a `--upgrade-strategy
(eager/non-eager)` flag (currently defaulting to eager) with `--upgrade`
with the the warning message printing as above followed by a switch to
non-eager.

These two combined is IMO the best way to do a transition to non-eager
upgrades by default.

That said, a change to non-eager upgrades be could potentially cause a
security vulnerability because a security package is kept at an older
version. This asks if we should default to non-eager upgrades. This
definitely something that should be addressed first, before we even talk
about the transition. I'm by no means in a position to make an proper
response and decision on this but someone else on this thread probably is.