[Distutils] Thank you for the ability to do `pip install git+https://...`

Nicholas Chammas nicholas.chammas at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 21:11:11 EDT 2016

Dunno how old/new this feature is, or what people did before it existed,
but I just wanted to thank the people who thought of and built the ability
to do installs from git+https.

It lets me offer the following to my users when they want the “bleeding
edge” <https://github.com/nchammas/flintrock#development-version> version
of my project:

pip install git+https://github.com/nchammas/flintrock

I also use this capability to install and test contributors’ branches when
they open PRs against my project. For example:

pip install git+https://github.com/contributor/flintrock@branch

It’s a great feature and makes my work a bit easier. Thank you for building
it.

I’m still waiting for when I can give the PyPA some money
<https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/856> for all the good and sorely
needed work that y’all do…

Anyway, keep it up.

Nick