[Distutils] Basic Markdown Readme Support

Wayne Werner waynejwerner at gmail.com
Tue May 3 10:09:45 EDT 2016

On Tue, 3 May 2016, Jim Fulton wrote:
> In my last job, I had to use a suite of tools (from a single company
> that I won't name but is easy to guess :) )  for which no 2 tools used
> the same dialect of Markdown. :(
>
> Which begs the question, which dialect of Markdown are you suggesting
> we support. :)

My personal preference is CommonMark - mainly because it's actually
well-defined. There are only a couple of cases that I've encountered where
CommonMark didn't render exactly what I expected. But at least it's
consistent, so it doesn't take much to adjust to.

For a simple README, I actually *prefer* CommonMark/Markdown - I find it
has all the features I need. Of course for more complicated documentation,
reStructuredText has a lot more power, so I'm down with the extra
complexity. Plus, I have actually come across more than one project on
pypi right now where the readme is in markdown format, so looks fine on
Github, but pretty funky on pypi.

-Wayne