[Distutils] moving things forward (was: wheel including files it shouldn't)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue May 3 13:10:55 EDT 2016

On 3 May 2016 at 17:47, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> It will likely get decided as part of the build system PEP, whenever that
> gets picked up again.

Yes, but on 15th March
(https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2016-March/028457.html)
Robert posted

> Just to set expectations: this whole process seems stalled to me; I'm
> going to context switch and focus on things that can move forward.
> Someone please ping me when its relevant to put effort in again :).

And I think that's right. The whole build system PEP issue appears
stalled from a lack of someone willing (or with the time) to make a
call on the approach we take.

As far as I'm aware, the decision remains with Nick. With the possible
exception of Donald's proposal (which AFAIK never got formally
published as a PEP) everything that can be said on the other proposals
has been said, and the remaining differences are ones of choice of
approach rather than anything affecting capabilities. (Robert's
message at https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2016-March/028437.html
summarised the state of the 3 proposals at the time).

I think this is something that should be resolved - we don't appear to
be gaining anything by waiting, and until we have a decision on the
approach that's being taken, we aren't going to get anyone writing
code for their preferred option.

Nick - do you have the time to pick this up? Or does it need someone
to step up as BDFL-delegate? Robert, Nathaniel, do you have time to
spend on a final round of discussion on this, on the assumption that
the goal will be a final decision at the end of it? Donald, do you
have the time and interest to complete and publish your proposal?

Paul