[Distutils] moving things forward

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu May 5 04:36:47 EDT 2016

On 5 May 2016 at 00:58, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> Somebody will have to distill that PEP, I have only an small inkling of what
> it's trying to say.

The relevant point for this discussion is "you can request that
particular packages are installed before the build step for your
package, and precisely what gets installed can depend on the Python
version".

If you're not intending to use a build system other than setuptools,
this is probably not relevant to you (other than to require a new
enough version of setuptools that has the bug fixes you need).

> As for my specific use case:  I have Python3-only files in my distribution,
> so they should only be installed on Python3 systems. Python2 systems
> generate useless errors.

That's a build system issue, so not directly relevant here.
Specifically, assuming it's the issue you reported here previously,
it's a problem in setuptools (so when it's fixed there, with this new
proposal you can specify that your build requires setuptools >= X.Y,
to ensure the bug fix is present).

Paul