[Distutils] moving things forward (was: wheel including files it shouldn't)

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu May 5 16:54:35 EDT 2016

We've spent a huge amount of effort on reaching the point where pretty
> much everything *can* be made pip installable. Heck, *PyQt5*, which is
> my personal benchmark for a probably-totally-unpackageable package,
> announced last week that they now have binary wheels on pypi for all
> of Win/Mac/Linux:

that's thanks to binary wheels being a simple archive -- by definition, if
you can build and install it *somehow* you can make a binary wheel out of
it -- which is a great thing -- so nice to have wheel completely
independent of the build system.

isn't that where we are trying to go -- have pip be independent of the
build system?

> If the BDFL delegate makes a call - fine. I read
> > Nick's earlier email in the thread as such a thing TBH :).
>
> Oh sure, I think everyone agrees that the file format choice is not a
> make-or-break decision

Am I the only one that thinks we're conflating two things here? choice of
file format is separate from "use setup.cfg" -- I think we should use
something NEW -- rather than try to patch on top of existing setup.cfg
files -- that way we're free to change the rules, and no one (and no tools)
will be confused about what version of what system is in play.

In short -- we should do something new, not just extend setup.cfg, and not
because we want a new file format.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov