[Distutils] moving things forward (was: wheel including files it shouldn't)

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu May 5 18:24:34 EDT 2016

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 2:47 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> > When you introduce isolation, the build will only have the standard
> > library + whatever is declared as a dep: and pyqt5 has no source on
> > PyPI.

so build isolation isolates you from arbitrary system libs? now you NEED to
ship all your non-trivial dependent libs. which I guess is the point, but
again, we're re-implementing conda here.

And the only time where it makes sense to force this build requirement is
when you are building binary wheels to put up on PyPi. So maybe part of
bdist_wheel??

OH -- and you need to make sure there is an isolated test environment too
-- which is a bit of pain, particularly when the tests aren't installed as
part of the package.

And, of course this means a version of virtualenv that isolates you from
system libs -- that might be quite hard to do, actually.

and again, conda :-)

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov