[Distutils] comparison of configuration languages

Łukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Sat May 7 17:42:45 EDT 2016

> On May 7, 2016, at 2:05 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>
> Couple thoughts.
>
> Firstly, the human-editable bit: who in the last *decade* has been
> writing code using a non-syntax-aware/helping editor? Its a supremely
> uninteresting aspect IMO.

Unless you’re faced with adding that syntax highlighting yourself because your favorite language du jour is not supported.

> On ConfigParser - yes, its horrid. OTOH we do get all the lines
> reliably, and setuptools will need to cover the unicode aspect itself
> in its own time. All we need to do is permit # inline as a comment -
> line a requirements.txt file for pip - and it becomes trivial to parse
> in all cases that we need *now*.

Yeah, the point about removing implicit inline comment handling was that it’s possible by the application to strip the inline comments itself if needed, whereas it’s impossible to add that information back if it wasn’t really supposed to be a comment. In other words, we can wrap a ConfigParser class around and add this ourselves.

--
Lukasz Langa | Facebook
Production Engineer | The Ministry of Silly Walks