[Distutils] PEP for specifying build dependencies

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed May 11 00:24:23 EDT 2016

On May 10, 2016 20:53, "Randy Syring" <randy at thesyrings.us> wrote:

[...]
> I suppose, if its possible the file would ever have a different top-level
config namespace other than "package" so that information related to
non-packaging issues could possible end up here (like maybe tox or flake8
starting to read config from here instead of from setup.cfg) then I don't
think I'd feel as strongly about "pyproject.toml" being too generic.

Look again :-)

"All other top-level keys and tables are reserved for future use by other
PEPs except for the ``[tool]`` table. Within that table, tools can have
users specify configuration data as long as they use a sub-table within
``[tool]``, e.g. the `flit <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/flit>`_ tool might
store its configuration in ``[tool.flit]``.

We need some mechanism to allocate names within the ``tool.*`` namespace,
to make sure that different projects don't attempt to use the same
sub-table and collide. Our rule is that a project can use the subtable
``tool.$NAME`` if, and only if, they own the entry for ``$NAME`` in the
Cheeseshop/PyPI.
"

(Maybe should be more prominent I guess?)

-n