[Distutils] PEP for specifying build dependencies

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed May 11 16:46:20 EDT 2016

> On May 11, 2016, at 4:27 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>
>> probably too late or out of scope for this pep. However the distro packaging
>> for python packages recommends to run the testsuite during the package
>> build. Would it be possible to extend this pep to test depends, or maybe
>> track this as a separate pep?
>
> It's covered as well- this is general purpose 'what is needed to run
> setup.py' - once you can run setup.py, you can machine interrogate any
> further dependencies.

It’s not *exactly* covered— I mean people could stick test dependencies in
this new field but I don’t think that setuptools actually exposes the
test_requires in any meaningful way (nor do I think people actually use
setuptools test support that consistently). So setuptools could get better
support for testing dependencies independently of this PEP *or* another PEP
could add a similar section that layered ontop of this. It’s definitely out
of scope for this particular PEP though.

Donald Stufft