[Distutils] Does pip Honour "Obsoletes"?

Ian Cordasco graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Fri May 13 09:56:29 EDT 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 5:40 PM, Phil Thompson
<phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
> I may be doing something wrong, but...
>
> The METADATA in my wheel uses Obsoletes but pip does not remove the obsoleted package on an install of my wheel.
>
> Is it supposed to?

No.

Unlike some other package managers, pip doesn't keep track of every
package that depends on another, so it will not remove the obsoleted
package unless you specifically do `pip uninstall obsoleted-package`.
This prevents silent/unintentional breakage.

Cheers,
Ian