[Distutils] If you want wheel to be successful, provide a build server.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu May 26 22:02:28 EDT 2016

On 27 May 2016 10:40, "Nick Coghlan" <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 May 2016 04:48, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> > > On May 26, 2016, at 2:41 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > > It would be very good to work out a plan for new Python releases as
> > > well.  We really need to get wheels up to pypi a fair while before the
> > > release date, and it's easy to forget to do that, because, at the
> > > moment, we don't have much testing infrastructure to make sure that a
> > > range of wheel installs are working OK.
> >
> > I want to get something setup that would allow people to only need to
upload
> > a source release to PyPI and then have wheels automatically built for
them
> > (but not mandate that- Projects that wish it should always be able to
control
> > their wheel generation).
>
> A possible preceding step for that might be to create a service that
reports per-project information on clients downloading the sdist versions
of a project. With the Big Query data publicly available, that shouldn't
need to be part of PyPI itself (at least in the near term), so it should
just need an interested volunteer, rather than being gated on Warehouse.

It belatedly occurs to me that experimenting with that myself would align
pretty well with some ideas I'm exploring for $(day job), so if nobody else
pursues this, I'll likely take a look myself some time in the next few
weeks (and if they do take a look, I should be able to find the time to
help).

Cheers,
Nick.