[Distutils] matrix: python_versions x supported_plattforms, cross-compiling vs VM

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Fri May 27 12:46:29 EDT 2016

> On May 27, 2016, at 12:43 PM, Alex Grönholm <alex.gronholm at nextday.fi> wrote:
>
> This reminds me of something I wanted to ask – how come the "virtualenv" tool installs wheel but the built-in "venv" tool does not? The latter is the currently recommended method of creating a virtualenv, isn't it?

virtualenv, by nature of not being in the standard library, can be a bit more liberal. Once pyproject.toml support is in pip and we can automatically install wheel for wheel caching as part of the build process, I intend to remove both setuptools and wheel from virtualenv (and venv).

—
Donald Stufft