[Distutils] Current Python packaging status (from my point of view)

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Tue Nov 1 03:30:25 EDT 2016

Am 17.09.2016 um 12:29 schrieb Nick Coghlan:
> Hi folks,
>
> Prompted by a few posts I read recently about the current state of the
> Python packaging ecosystem, I figured it made sense to put together an
> article summarising my own perspective on the current state of things:
> http://www.curiousefficiency.org/posts/2016/09/python-packaging-ecosystem.html

Thank you for this summarizing article. Yes, a lot was done during the last months.

I liked the part "My core software ecosystem design philosophy" a lot, since
it explains that both parties (software consumer and software publisher) want
it to be simple and easy.

About conda: if pip and conda overlap in some point. Why not implement
this in a reusable library which gets used by conda and pip?

About funding: Looking for more income is one way to solve this. Why not
look into the other direction: How to reduce costs?

Heading "Making the presence of a compiler on end user systems optional". Here
I just can say: Thank you very much. I guess it was a lot of hard work to
make this all simple and easy for the software consumers and publishers. Thank you.

I wrote some lines, but I deleted my thoughts about the topic "Automating wheel creation", since
I am a afraid it could raise bad mood in this list again. That's not my goal.

Regards,
  Thomas Güttler

--
http://www.thomas-guettler.de/