[Distutils] Travis-CI is not open source. Was: Current Python packaging status (from my point of view)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:54:03 EDT 2016

On 2 November 2016 at 23:13, Ian Cordasco <graffatcolmingov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 1:00 AM, Thomas Güttler
> <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:
>> I see an other hurdle. travis-ci is very widespread, but AFAIK it is not open source:
>>
>>    https://travis-ci.com/plans
>
> It is open source: https://github.com/travis-ci
>
> Sadly, the infrastructure it takes to operate it is not Free.

This is also an area where I'm fine with recommending freemium
solutions if they're the lowest barrier to entry option for new users,
and "Use GitHub + Travis CI" qualifies on that front. The CPython repo
hosting debate forced me to seriously consider when in someone's
journey into open source and free software it makes sense to introduce
the notion of "Free software needs free tools", and I came to the
conclusion that in most cases the right answer is "After they discover
the concept on their own and want to know more about it".

My hard requirement is that folks using completely open source/free
software stacks be *supported*, and that's not at risk here (since
there are plenty of ways to run your own private build service).

Cheers,
Nick.