[Distutils] Current Python packaging status (from my point of view)

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 2 14:22:54 EDT 2016

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> > On Nov 2, 2016, at 12:49 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I also mean 2.6 vs 2.7 vs 3.4 vs 3.5 vs 3.6, etc

Of course, but that has nothing to do with the package management system...

> There are still platform differences too, we regularly get bugs that only
> are exposed on Anaconda or on Ubuntu’s Python or on RHEL's Python or on
> Python.org’s OS X installers etc etc.

Yes, that is the challenge -- and one reason folks may be tempted to say we
should have ONE package manager -- to reduce the variation -- though I
don't think any of us think that's possible (and probably not desirable).

Basically every variation has a chance to introduce a bug of some kind, and
> if you’re around long enough and you’re used enough you’ll run into them on
> every system. As someone writing that code you have to decide where you
> draw the line for what you support or not (for instance, you may support
> Ubuntu/RHEL/Anaconda, but you may decide that any version of CPython
> running on HPUX is not supported).

or you may decide to ONLY support conda -- my use case is a big pile of
tangled dependencies (yes, lots o' scientific stuff) that is fairly easy to
manage in conda and freekin' nightmare without it.

Oh, and I'm putting it behind a web service, so I need to deploy on
locked-down servers....

You CAN get all those dependencies working without conda, but it's a
serious pain. Almost impossible on Windows.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov