[Distutils] Current Python packaging status (from my point of view)

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sat Nov 5 02:57:43 EDT 2016

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 November 2016 at 03:56, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But - it would be a huge help if the PSF could help with funding to
>> get mingw-w64 working.  This is the crucial blocker for progress on
>> binary wheels on Windows.
>
> Such a grant was already awarded earlier this year by way of the
> Scientific Python Working Group (which is a collaborative funding
> initiative between the PSF and NumFocus):
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/scientific/2016-January/000271.html
>
> However, we hadn't received a status update by the time I stepped down
> from the Board, although it sounds like progress hasn't been good if
> folks aren't even aware that the grant was awarded in the first place.

There's two separate projects here that turn out to be unrelated: one
to get mingw-w64 support for CPython < 3.5, and one for CPython >=
3.5. (This has to do with the thing where MSVC totally redid how their
C runtime works.) The grant you're thinking of is for the python < 3.5
part; what Matthew's talking about is for the python >= 3.5 part,
which is a totally different plan and team.

The first blocker on getting funding for the >= 3.5 project though is
getting the team to write down an actual plan and cost estimate, which
has not yet happened...

-n