[Distutils] continuous integration options (was Re: Travis-CI is not open source, except in fact it *is* open source)

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 06:43:03 EDT 2016

- https://conda-forge.github.io
- https://github.com/conda-forge
- https://github.com/conda-forge/feedstocks
- https://github.com/conda-forge/conda-smithy

> A more promising long term path is trust federation, which many folks
> will already be familiar with through granting other services access
> to their GitHub repositories, or using Twitter/Facebook/Google/et al
> to sign into various systems. That's not going to be a quick fix
> though, as it's contingent on sorting out the Warehouse migration
> challenges, and those are already significant enough without piling
> additional proposed changes on top of the already pending work.

- [ ] Warehouse: ENH,SEC: A table, form, API for creating and revoking
OAuth authz
  - (project, key, UPLOAD_RELEASE)
  - key renewal date

There are a few existing OAuth Server libraries for pyramid (Warehouse):

- https://github.com/sneridagh/osiris
- https://github.com/tilgovi/pyramid-oauthlib
- https://github.com/elliotpeele/pyramid_oauth2_provider

- [ ] CI Release utility secrets:
  - VCS commit signature checking keyring
  - Package signing key (GPG ASC)
  - Package signature pubkey

I just found these:

- https://gist.github.com/audreyr/5990987
- https://github.com/michaeljoseph/changes

- https://pypi.python.org/pypi/jarn.mkrelease
  - scripted GPG

- https://caremad.io/posts/2013/07/packaging-signing-not-holy-grail/
  - SHOULD have OOB keyring dist

- https://github.com/pypa/twine/issues/157
  - twine uploads *.asc if it exists

- http://pythonhosted.org/distlib/tutorial.html#signing-a-distribution
- http://pythonhosted.org/distlib/tutorial.html#verifying-signatures
  - SHOULD specify a limited keying-dir/

- https://packaging.python.org/distributing/
  - [ ] howto create an .asc signature

- https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/deployment/pypi/
  - https://github.com/travis-ci/dpl/blob/master/lib/dpl/provider/pypi.rb
  - [x] https://github.com/travis-ci/dpl/issues/253
  - [ ] oauth key instead of pass

- https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/deployment/releases/
  - upload release to GitHub

- [ ] Is it possible to maintain a simple index of GitHub-hosted releases
and .asc signatures w/ gh-pages? (for backups)
  - twine: Is uploading GitHub releases in scope?
    - https://pypi.org/search/?q=Github+release

> However, something that could potentially be achieved in the near term
> given folks interested enough in the idea to set about designing it
> would be a default recommendation for a Travis CI + Appveyor + GitHub
> Releases based setup that automated everything *except* the final
> upload to PyPI, but then also offered a relatively simple way for
> folks to pull their built artifacts from GitHub and push them to PyPI
> (such that their login credentials never left their local system).
> Folks that care enough about who hosts their source code to want to
> avoid GitHub, or have complex enough build system needs that Travis CI
> isn't sufficient, are likely to be technically sophisticated enough to
> adapt service specific instructions to their particular circumstances,
> and any such design work now would be a useful template for full
> automation at some point in the future.

https://www.google.com/search&q=Travis+Appveyor+GitHub+pypi

... also useful:

- GitLab CI
  - .gitlab-ci.yml , config.toml
  - https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/ci/docker/using_docker_images.html

- Jenkins
  - https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Docker+Plugin
  - https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/ShiningPanda+Plugin
  - https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/GitHub+Plugin
  - https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Release+Plugin

- Buildbot
  - http://docs.buildbot.net/latest/manual/cfg-workers-docker.html

- GitFlow and HubFlow specify a release/ branch with actual release tags
all on master/
  - https://datasift.github.io/gitflow/IntroducingGitFlow.html