[Distutils] Role of distutils.cfg

Christoph Groth christoph at grothesque.org
Thu Nov 10 06:27:07 EST 2016

Hi,

I have a question on how to best handle parameters to the
distribution given that they can be shadowed by the global
configuration file, distutils.cfg.

Our project [1] contains C-extensions that include NumPy’s
headers.  To this end, our setup.py [2] sets the include_dirs
parameter of setup() to NumPy’s include path.  We have chosen this
way, since it allows to add a common include path to all the
extensions in one go.  One advantage of this approach is that when
the include_dirs parameters of the individual extensions are
reconfigured (for example with a build configuration file), this
does not interfere with the numpy include path.

This has been working well for most of other users, but recently
we got a bug report by someone for whom it doesn’t.  It turns out
that his system has a distutils.cfg that precedes over the
include_dirs parameter to setup() [3].

My question is now: is there a policy on the correct use of
distutils.cfg?  After all, it can override any parameter to any
distutils command.  As such, is passing options like include_dirs
to setup() a bad idea in the first place, or should rather the use
of distutils.cfg be reserved to cases like choosing an alternative
compiler?

Thanks for any clarification,
Christoph