[Distutils] [proposal] module dependency specification and overriding for packages

Ronny Pfannschmidt opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de
Fri Sep 9 03:48:32 EDT 2016

On 09.09.2016 09:37, Philippe Ombredanne wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Ronny Pfannschmidt
> <opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de> wrote:
>> while trying to vendor packages that depend on six, i noticed a problematic
>> implication
>>
>> it is impossible to do this without patching those modules, as such adding a
>> fragile maintenance burden.
>
> Ronny:
> I grok the general issue, but would you have a concrete example?
a basic example would be vendoring

https://github.com/kyrus/python-junit-xml and six into pytest

following that we would face 2 problems

a) python-junit-xml imports plain six instead of
_pytest.vendored_packages.six meaning we have to patch it when including it
b) debian/fedora will want to remove six and python-junit-xml from their
pytest-package
     instead linking to python-six-wheel-... and
python-junit-xml-wheel... packages as part of their deduplication effort
meaning they will patch around in the pytest package (which tends to
break the world)