[Distutils] Module Installation Issues

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 20:55:55 EDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> Perhaps a better idea would be to add some smarts to the REPL (but not to Python itself) that would detect something like:

> And print a better error message that gives a better indication about what’s gone wrong besides a SyntaxError?

I've that for IPython:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip_magic

It need to be loaded explicitly, but I'm[1] considering making it
enabled by default.

We're more and more encountering users that are confused with
installing form within the shell; More and more users are in a Python
REPL[2] long before even knowing what a shell command line is and how
to get one. Worse they can choose environment in a dropdown, so having
to tell them they need to activate the env to install things make no
sens for them.

I think a 'pip install', or whatever else that could hook into the
thing to install package (like something that conda could set to
theirown thing) would be great. A message like "You might need to
restart your Python interpreter for changes to be taken into account"
seem enough to C.Y.A and would get us 90% there.

[1] I think other dev agree with me.
[2] in a notebook most of the time