[Distutils] Which commercial vendor?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 6 15:44:44 EDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 6:41 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> PayPal Engineering put together a decent write-up of their path
> towards adopting that model last year:
> https://www.paypal-engineering.com/2016/09/07/python-packaging-at-paypal/

Thanks for that link.

We're a much smaller shop, but have had pretty much the same experience --
also really good to see them mention miniconda at the end -- I think that's
a much better way to go for most folks than the whole Anaconda pile.

It's definitely a reasonable way to go for organisational
> infrastructure, but even conda doesn't cover all the potential use
> cases that are out there

of course not -- nothing does, but I would add to the contents of that post:

The conda-forge project is a Major boon to the conda infrastructure --
there is now a robust way for the community to expand the available number
of packages (and keep up more recent versions). And anyone can take
advantage of that infrastructure for their own (selfish?) needs:

Chances are, there will be a package or two that you rely on that is not in
conda defaults (maintained by Continuum) or currently in conda-forge. So
you can pip-install those few -- but what if they aren't on PyPi either? or
are hard to compile and install with ugly dependencies?  You can contribute
build recipes to conda-forge, and then have it for you, and all your users,
and the rest of the world to access. Much better than hand maintaining
stuff yourself.

My pain point now is still full multi-platform support. conda has package
versions that are platform independent, but it can still be hard to get
everything built  in the same version on all platforms, so it does get a
bit ugly.

But no other solution makes that better anyway.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov