[Distutils] PyPI abuse

tritium-list at sdamon.com tritium-list at sdamon.com
Tue Apr 11 04:41:12 EDT 2017

Playing devil's advocate here, do we put a value judgement on the content of a module on pypi, even if that content is limited to a single function that just prints?  What does that mean for something like a 'metapackage' (a package on pypi that has no content, and exists only to install other modules - like a project that has been modularized into other packages on pypi)?  I think this should be handled on a case by case basis, where someone else comes along wanting to use a name currently being used by one of these obvious placeholders.

That said, this looks sketchy, and I would not be shocked to find these names being held hostage on some auction site somewhere.  If that is the case, burninate them.