[Distutils] new PyPI: a rant from a package maintainer

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 17:51:53 EDT 2017

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 2:29 PM, James Bennett <ubernostrum at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry that you're frustrated. You're not the only person who's
> frustrated, and in fact I'd bet a lot of the people who are trying to get
> this stuff to work seamlessly and perfectly for you are at least as
> frustrated as you are. They don't need more people yelling at them. They
> know there's pain. They've had to face it every day for a long time.

I for one am actually very encouraged by the amount of activity around
improving packaging. There are lots of people that care deeply about
this stuff and are trying to get it right and improve things. We
should be supportive of them and help where we can.

If something isn't working like you think it should, I would always
try asking first. In my experience, people on this list are very
helpful in that regard, perhaps in part because they know certain
things are in flux.

--Chris