[Distutils] new PyPI: a rant from a package maintainer

Lucas Boppre Niehues lucasboppre at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 22:55:25 EDT 2017

> So it appears that the wheel isn’t being properly generated.

Ah, this helps a lot. I didn't realize it's the first upload that defines
the description for the package.

Testing different configurations I found that the wheel generation chokes
and ignores everything after the first Windows-style newline '\r\n'.
Meanwhile sdist just copies the string exactly as-is, but inside a
Unix-style file, resulting in a PKG-INFO that doesn't break anything but
looks weird. And you're also right that this is a bit of pypandoc's fault,
because it returns a Windows-style string even if the input was Unix-style,
but this is no reason to mix styles or choke.

I can open a bug report later if you prefer.

Thank you for the help, that solves the only unexplained issue I had.